Tuesday, August 5, 2008

She Swims She Bikes She Runs

After reading Marni's post about her experience with the triathlon I decided to write about mine. First of all, I finished! What a perfect day for a race. The weather was spectacular! I woke up that morning with a killer headache and I was so nervous. My fears were calmed by the gentle words of encouragement from Marni. I think watching the pro's (who started the race first and were basically done the race before my heat started) made me feel a bit more confident as well. They make it look so easy.

When it was my time to get in the water I was feeling a little too confident. I forgot the terror of swimming in a huge river without being able to touch bottom. I started to have a panic attack. I held onto a kayak that was near by and I started to cry! I was so frustrated that I was having a panic attack. I told the woman in the boat that I didn't think I could do it but I really wanted to, so bad. She helped me catch my breath again and told me to just go for it. So, I did. I was a little discouraged at first because I was the last person in the swimming heat, but within a couple minutes I was right in the middle of everyone again. I finished the swim with no problem and I really felt like I could have swam longer.

The bike ride was just straight up fun. It probably was the hardest part of the triathlon for me, but I was enjoying every moment of it. It was the perfect day for a bike ride. When I saw Jesse and the girls cheering for me while I biked by it made me feel happy.

The run was a little difficult at first, my legs felt like jelly, but once I hit the 1.5 mile point I was so pumped. I was almost done! When I saw Jesse and the girls at the finish line my eyes started to well up with tears. I was so happy to see them and so proud of myself that I finished. I never would have expected this to be such an emotional experience. It felt good.

The rest of the afternoon I sat on my butt and drank mimosas. It was awesome.


I wouldn't have been able to do this race without the help of Marni and Tray. What great friends. And of course...Jesse, thank you so much, you are such a supportive husband.







5 comments:

carina romano said...

whoa you look so sporty and tough. like you're ready to punch someone out.

lady.shiv said...

amazing! you're such a champ, Lois.

Emily said...

lois - seriously... you are my hero right now. go you! :)

sanityseeker said...

woot woot! GREAT pictures! here's our next race: http://www.piranha-sports.com/EntryList.aspx?RaceID=27

leann (gorman) wood said...

way to go. i am so proud of you!!!!